As from April 3, 2017, Dr Thierry Luescher has joined the South African Human Sciences Research Council in Cape Town as Research Director in the Education and Skills Development research programme. He heads the unit focused on higher education.
The HSRC is a statutory science council established to conduct large-scale, policy-relevant, social-scientific projects for public-sector users, non-governmental organisations and international development agencies. The HSRC is one of the leading African research institutions and think-tanks.
The HSRC’s mandate is to inform the effective formulation and monitoring of government policy; to evaluate policy implementation; to stimulate public debate through the effective dissemination of research-based data and fact-based research results; to foster research collaboration; and to help build research capacity and infrastructure for the human sciences.
The HSRC includes the following institutes, centres and programmes:
- Africa Institute of South Africa (AISA)
- Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators (CeSTII)
Democracy, Governance and Service Delivery (DGSD)
- Economic Performance and Development (EPD)
- Education and Skills Development (ESD)
- HIV/AIDS, STIs and TB (including the Africa-wide research network SAHARA) (HAST)
- Human and Social Development (HSD)
- Population Health, Health Systems and Innovation (PHHSI)
The HSRC Press, the publishing arm of the HSRC, is the premier open access academic publisher in the Social Sciences in South Africa, with a wide international reach.